1. Leech bites seem to swell and itch more when one pulls the leech off by force, as opposed to when one gets them to drop off my dabbing muscle rub on them. I hope the little buggers haven’t left anything nasty under my skin.
2. I still haven’t figured out the best way to get a grip on wet tree roots.
3. I have a lot more scratches on my left leg than on my right leg. Perhaps because I was scratched the most on the way down, and on the way down the river was on our right most of the time, so most of the scratchy things were on my left.
4. I made a conscious effort to avoid puddles on the way down, and attracted only two leeches (and more importantly, none that found their way into my shorts). Perhaps the two are not correlated, but almost everyone else seemed to get more leeches on the way down than on the way up.
5. Hiking in Malaysia during the monsoon season is simply not worth it.